Amanda Coleman LMP
2650 42nd Ave SW
Find a practitioner >Washington > Amanda Coleman > Articles > Tune ups
When do I need a tune up?
If you’ve done the Soma series, you’ve made an investment in your well being that will continue to pay off for the rest of your life. Your body will always thank you for the ounce of prevention you have given it. Maintaining and improving upon this foundation is important to your quality of life; now and in the future.
Tune up every 3 to 6 months if you are (and have been for the last 3months):
- Getting plenty of rest and exercise.
- Eating a healthy diet.
- Practicing non-linear or creative movement, e.g. yoga, dance, martial arts, spinal undulations etc. at least once a week
- Feeling emotionally content
- Having no significant physical complaints
- You’ve had no injuries since your last session
Once a month if any of these are true:
- Having a stressful lifestyle
- Not getting adequate rest or nutrition
- Adapting to major changes
- Getting vigorous exercise less than 2x per week
- Practicing non-linear or creative movement less than once a week
- Physical complaints feel significant, or you have more than 1-2 per month or they last more than 48 hours
- Feeling emotionally or mentally discontent
- Have been injured or had a significant illness recently(see A word about injuries below)
- You just find Soma an enjoyable way to nurture yourself!
Every 6 to 24 months if you fit in the 3-6 month category plus
- You feel easeful and effortless most of the time
- You have a sense of being “in the flow” in your life
A word about injuries: It is very important to get re-balanced after an injury or significant illness. Injuries/illness lead to compensation patterns(tightening of other tissues in the body) which can wreak havoc anywhere in the body (read VM article for explanation of how this works). Discomfort due to compensations may not show up for several months after the original injury. It is, however, best to wait until the original injured part is healed (usually 3-6 weeks for minor injuries and up to 6 months for major injury or illness) before rebalancing is undertaken.
Call or email me if you have questions. Our lives are always evolving and changing and sometimes it’s hard to know what kind of assistance you need and when. I’m always happy to hear from you if you need advice and I have plenty of referrals to give if you would be best served by something other than Soma!